Saturday, February 26, 2005

Step 3: Learn to Laugh to Yourself

Because, well, laughing in someone's face isn't very nice.

As I've grown quite a bit more liberal and less close-minded I've begun to find humor in some of the more conservative thought. Especially when people express those thoughts to me with that same vigor and passion that the religious right is prone to possess.

Sometimes it's all I can do to keep from crying.

I am a student of history. I'm fascinated by a number of different periods in time, one of which being the more recent history of the US in the 1950s and 60s. Thank god the groups of religious fanatics of that time were NOT able to convince the rest of the country that having dark skin was somehow evil. That their heritage or the color of their skin was somehow a result of their sins, and that anyone who mixed with them was committing a grevious sin of their own. What a different world we would live in today if they had prevailed in repressing the minority groups in this country, all in the name of God and religion and purity and righteousness. Thank god the voice of reason was not allowed to be stamped out.

But I look around today and it's like we've gone back in time 50 years. Or 150 years. Or 1000 years. Once again, the "Moral Majority" is scampering about, trying to tell us what is evil and how we can protect ourselves and our poor innocent children from destruction. It's like they're trying to secure for themselves a safe little bubble in which to live, where everyone looks the same and talks the same and acts the same.

Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean they're wrong.

So when one of them confesses to me their disgust over something they deem appalling, I just have to sigh, shake my head and silently chuckle to myself.

1 comment:

Sky said...

The good bloggers post at least once a day!!