Wednesday, April 27, 2005

To Hell, or Not To Hell?

I am in love with the show Desperate Housewives and try not to ever miss an episode. One of the characters on the show, Bree, is supposed to be a devout Christian. A couple of weeks ago, her son confessed that he might be gay, and she told him straight up that if he didn't talk to the reverend and repent, he wouldn't go to heaven with her.

That just pisses me off. Do people actually think this way?

Part of the reason I ended up taking a step back from religion and re-evaluating everything was because I just couldn't stand how so many Christians had this nasty habit of painting people into hell.

Last summer, I flew out to Utah to visit some friends after spending a number of months overseas. I was most excited to see my best friend of 2 years who I hadn't seen since the previous fall. I spoke with him shortly before I left and he told me he couldn't wait to see me again. When I got into town I gave him a call to make plans to meet up with him. I got his voicemail, so I left him a message saying I would call back at such and such a time.

When I called back later that day, his mom answered the phone and told me that he had died.

I was COMPLETELY devastated.

I started calling all of my friends to let them know. I figured if his mom hadn't called me, she probably hadn't called anyone else, either. Everyone I talked to cried with me and chatted about what a wonderful person we had just lost.

Then I called a Christian friend of mine. And he made sure to inform me that since this friend of mine was a Mormon, he was now in hell.

Did you catch that? He told me that my best friend was in hell. ON THE DAY I FOUND OUT HE DIED. HELL!

Why would I ever want to be a part of that?

1 comment:

Cherish Life said...

First let me say, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your friend was a really neat guy and left you with some great memories, I hope they bring you comfort!

I didn't think it was right that this post had no comments, so I'm adding one (even though this is from forever ago)...

I am appalled at the gall of some people. It's amazing to me how your Xtian friend even let those words come out of his mouth at all, let alone at that particular moment! Disgusting!

That's also one big reason I left the mormon church, I just couldn't grasp the concept that good people who died before accepting the so called correct church would go to hell for eternity. Or even someone like me... I feel I'm basically a good person who found it hard to always live up to all the rules the church puts on its members (though I must add that that is NOT the reason I left the church, as some would love to assume). The thought that I was destined for some lesser heavenly kingdom haunted me. The day I realized the church was not what it claimed to be was the most liberating day of my life. What a load off, huh!?! Oh and the whole being gay is a sin thing, ain't buying that one!

I just started reading your blog from the beginning... I can so totally relate to pretty much everything I've read so far! I've actually found quite a few Xmormon blogs, it's a great comfort to know there are so many people out there in the same boat. Thank you for blogging! Maybe I'll get up the guts to start one some day. Peace and love!