Saturday, December 29, 2007

PS. Where are all the women?

I got so carried away with how depressing the church service was, that I forgot to mention the part that made me the most angry! Though, I don't know why... it didn't surprise me at all.

During the last talk, the man speaking (I think he was part of the bishopric), was giving his testimony or whatever, talking about how he was so grateful for Gordon Hinckley, and Joseph Smith, and God, and Jesus, and Brigham Young, and he, him, he, him BLAH.

I leaned over to dad and said, "he, he, him, him. Where are all the women?"

Dad says, "Well, it was the women who supported the men!"

...

Excuse me, I just threw up a little bit.

It is not my job, nor should any other woman think it is her job, to be some man's support while he goes off and makes a name for himself. Sure, sure, be supportive of your husband, etc. But that doesn't make you who you are! You are your own person, and should be recognized as such.

No, the problem is that the Mormon church is a 100% patriarchy, and that's how they like it, thank you very much. So, they'll continue to suppress women, push down their thoughts and accomplishments, and make them feel like that's the way god intended it to be, until the women decide that's not okay, they're not going to take it anymore, and they either do something about it or leave.

Heh. Great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I ran across your blog while I was searching for something and thought this post was interesting. My question for you is, what about Mary, the mother of Jesus? She's a pretty big deal for ANYONE who believes in Jesus Christ. Just sayin. And she's just one of the women in religion who actually are a big deal.