Saturday, December 29, 2007

Step 8: Wake Up!

So, the xmas season has come and gone. Time was spent with family on both ends. My family was, of course, all Jesus-fied, but were actually much more tame this go 'round than in years past. However, my honey and I were invited to church to watch my father, brother, brother-in-law, and quite possibly soon to be other brother-in-law sing a Jesus xmas song. So, we went, and sat through about 25 minutes of the mormon service.

Whoa. It was depressing.

I mean, I remember that it wasn't all that exciting when I went, but it's been such a long time, and I hadn't really realized how SAD the whole thing is.

Besides the fact that there were kids screaming as they played with their toys, women clipping their fingernails in the pew ahead of us, people dozing on the stand, etc...

But the music and the talks were the complete opposite of uplifting! Nobody seemed happy to be there. The songs just kind of droned on. The talks... oh, the talks... All about how we all make mistakes and nobody is perfect, nor will we ever be, and we're sinners, and we... well, we basically suck. No hope, no inspiration, no excitement. Just like robots.

At least at a Southern Baptist Church you'll find people dancing in the aisles!

No wonder Utah is ranked as the #1 most depressed state in the country according to Mental Health America. Sad.

Figure out how to wake up and find some joy in your life!! I know I'm happy with my life.

Maybe you should consider leaving the church behind, too...

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Haha Utah...... the most depressed state, you know they named Prozac after PRO-vo ;-). I never had a problem getting a 3 month supply of my pills at Walgreens there!