Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Well, since Jesus already took care of it, I suppose

Well, isn't this just a doozy?

According to Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), champion of the Christian right, we need to stop wasting our time and resources trying to save the planet.

According to TPM:

Bachmann says we don't need pesky environmentalists like Nancy Pelosi around, because Jesus already saved the planet!

"[Pelosi] is committed to her global warming fanaticism to the point where she has said that she's just trying to save the planet," Bachmann told the right-wing news site OneNewsNow. "We all know that someone did that over 2,000 years ago, they saved the planet -- we didn't need Nancy Pelosi to do that."

Well, damn. Thanks to Jesus, then, for saving the earth! Now, what to do about the rising temperatures, melting arctic ice cap, and dying polar bears...

I mean, seriously.

I've heard before that the fundies sometimes encourage wastefulness because that is supposed to usher in the return of Jesus to our dying planet. They're looking forward to armageddon and the rapture and all that jazz.

But a congress-person? True, I'm not surprised, but I do prefer the ideal of separation of church and state. Come on!

Besides, what if a Mormon senator said that archaeologists need to stop "wasting their time" in South America because the Book of Mormon already tells us the *facts* about the ancient people there?

Or if a Muslim representative said we need to end our alliance with Israel because Allah actually promised the land to the descendents of Ishmael, his *true* chosen people?

Exactly.

Sigh....

2 comments:

Blog Stalker said...

Interesting post Michelle. I understand how extreme the congressman sounded but The whole global warming crowd is just as extreme. I do not want to start political discourse but the truth about the so called facts of global warming are being debunked almost daily. Those who once stood on the global warming side are switching sides because of overwhelming lack of evidence and debunked theory. But we the people will not hear about that from Al gore or Pelosi.

Anyway, I love this planet and do agree that we all, as stewards over the earth need to do what we can to protect nature and the planet. But not to the extremes that we are going now. I think green technology is great and alternative energy is the future also. But to tie our hands while there is not better technology yet is frustrating and not the place of government anyway.

look at me, I'm waxiong political when I said I wouldnt. Keep an open mind Michelle. Dont let your anti-religeous views cloud your wonderful intellect.

Have a great day! I love your other blog!

Michelle said...

Thanks for your comment.

One of my biggest frustrations is when people say "scientific studies show..." or "many scientists say/are..." without citing the source.

I can easily tell you that scientific studies show that eating bananas actually increases your chance for liver cancer later in life.

That doesn't mean what I'm saying is true or reliable.

If you're going to discuss science, you need to do it scientifically, or it has no value. As such, I don't agree with your statement that "the so called facts of global warming are being debunked almost daily."

Oh yeah? Show me.

Anyway...

I rather prefer that the religious folk out there not let their beliefs cloud their own intellect. I don't rely on faith to explain science to me. Rather, I rely on facts, experimentation, and reason.

I know it's hard to read tone. I'm not trying to start a controversy, I just want to keep an intelligent dialogue open.

Thanks again for stopping by! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you at your site.